Friday, November 18, 2011

Reducing obstacles: TG edition

Over at Making a Living Writing, Carol Tice posted on How to Eliminate All Your Freelance Writing Obstacles. She questions, does it seem overwhelming, too hard? These questions are not only for freelance writers. They are universal to challenging, valuable pursuits, and so is the prescription.

She opens with a Yiddish folktale, which is well worth a minute to read. Then her suggestion: change your attitude. To get perspective on the obstacles in your life, list what you have going for you. As the first commenter said, it's just in time for Thanksgiving.

I don't think it directly addresses the feeling that something is overwhelming, but it does make one feel better to take stock of good things. Feeling happier can make difficult things seem more approachable.

Here's my gratitude list:
  • Wonderful, supportive boyfriend who adores me
  • I'm in the best shape of my life
  • My mom may have health and potential financial issues, but she's still alive and in good mental health
  • I have a large, loving family
  • Even if it is occasionally stretched by unexpected expenses, my boyfriend and I both have secure income
  • I'm going to be an aunt for the first time in January, and two of my closest friends are having babies around the same time
  • Everyone believes I have a bright future and many of them gladly help me along the way
  • I have affordable basic healthcare

What's on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment